On Wednesday, January 20, 2021, Joe Biden will be sworn in as the United States' 46th President. Kamala Harris, formerly US Senator from California and our Attorney General, will be sworn in as Vice President. The inauguration will be historic and unprecedented, given the recent insurrection on Capitol Hill and subsequent impeachment of Donald Trump, as well as the pandemic, protests over racial injustice, and economic suffering.
To support your students' consideration and understanding of this historic moment, our colleagues have prepared a number of resources for your consideration and use:
- Inauguration Viewer Guide (developed by the UC Berkeley History-Social Science Project)
- The Historic Vice-Presidency of Kamala Harris: primary source investigation and slide deck (developed by the UC Berkeley History-Social Science Project)
- The Role of the Vice President (Excerpt from 2016 Teach the Election series)
- Biden v. Trump: the Environment (Current Context series)
- Discord and Crisis: the 2020 Election
- Biden Inaugural Livestream for Young Viewers