|Who We Are||Our Mission|
The California History-Social Science Project (CHSSP) belongs to a larger network of discipline-specific programs known as the California Subject Matter Projects, administered by the University of California, Office of the President. Headquartered at University of California, Davis, the CHSSP and its seven sites are housed in UC and CSU departments of history and geography throughout the state. At each site, teachers and scholars work together to improve classroom instruction, student learning, and literacy.
The CHSSP is dedicated to providing the highest quality history instruction, with a special focus on meeting the needs of English learners, native speakers with low literacy, and students from economically disadvantaged communities. We are dedicated to increasing the achievement of all students through a research-based approach which focuses on historical content and disciplinary understanding, critical thinking, and the development of student literacy, all aligned with the Common Core State Standards and the California Standards for History-Social Science.
- Respect for the role of history education in preparing students for thoughtful participation in a democratic society
- Continuous and year-round teacher learning, research, and professional development
- Creativity, innovation, and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Rigorous evaluation, reflection, and refinement of project programs
- Respect for all members of our community